Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
December 6, 2010 at 2:39 pm in reply to: Can I create a drop cap and nested style once and then keep applying it? CS4 #58012
Theunis De Jong
Member?? Drop caps are defined in your paragraph style, and that's where you set how large it should be. In addition, you can optionally have it apply a character style automatically. Then use this paragraph style on each paragraph where you want the drop cap to appear in.
If you want to change it later on, change its size in the paragraph style, or its appearance in the character style.
Theunis De Jong
MemberIf you have a cell (or row, or table) selected at the moment of pasting, you are replacing the entire contents of it — conditional/invisible or not. Could that be your problem?
November 30, 2010 at 1:41 pm in reply to: Grep find/replace to sort list of book titles starting with "The" #57967Theunis De Jong
MemberTry this. Search for
^(A|An|The) (.+)$
and replace with
$2, $1
If you're about my age, you might remember a little band called “The The”. How are you gonna solve that one?

(Ed. small improvement to get rid of an extra space)
November 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm in reply to: InDesign CS5: italics missing from imported Word document #57946Theunis De Jong
MemberOne idea comes to mind: InDesign won't make text italic if there is no such thing as an italic in that typeface.
Oooh — I spotted a mistake there!
While it's true you cannot make ID italicize a text if it has a font applied without an italics (not without some trickery — but it's pointless to boot), ID will merrily import faux italicized text. Thus, you can end up with “Univers [Italic]”, rather than the regular “Univers 56 Italic”.
I must confess that while I've had tons of troubles with Word files, your Disappearing Italics is a new one. But whenever my ID CS4 seems to have a little trouble with a certain Word document (*), I shuffle over to the next computer which has still CS3 installed. CS3 imports most (but not all) troublesome documents without a hitch. Your footnotes problems, for example, only appear in CS4 and newer, whereas CS3 has virtually no problem with those.
(*) Every now and then I get a batch of Word documents of different authors that appear to be edited by a single person. When the first of those set of files fail, the same usually goes for every other one. So it must be related somehow with the Word version that last wrote the file. Unfortunately, Word is so incredibly backwards compatible that it's impossible to figure out what version that exactly was — but there is something weird in the files, and it persists through repeated re-saves as well.
Theunis De Jong
MemberHi Duncan,
Make a new document with a text frame. Click your text cursor into the text frame, and run this script to get a list of all ID's (ID boasts slightly over 3,200 commands!). I don't know how to get the “invoke” name, though — perhaps these are somewhere in the SDK documentation or headers. I'll have a look when I get home.
res = [];
for (a=0; a<app.menuActions.length; a++)
res.push (app.menuActions[a].name+” (“+app.menuActions[a].area+”) = “+app.menuActions[a].id);
app.selection[0].contents = res.join(“r”);Theunis De Jong
MemberAh — just thought of this. Are there single backslashes in that string? Since this is a Javascript string, the backslashes act as escape characters, so you must double them — like this: X:\YourPathHere\AndSomeMoretc-etc. Alternatively, I think InDesign's Javascript also recognizes the single forward slash as a path separator, so you could try that as well.
Theunis De Jong
MemberDid you think of placing your path in the line that says
f[i].insertionPoints[0].place (File ('—–replace this bit——' + name));
? It really really looks to me a path should (could) be in there.
Theunis De Jong
MemberOuch! InDesign was right to complain, you are moving components of the actual program around! (So I hope you restored them to their original position straight away.) The glyph sets are in a folder called “Glyph Sets”, as David said, so that wasn't the smartest thing to try …
Behind my Window system I can find this folder at C:Users[My Actual Name Here]AppDataRoamingAdobeInDesignVersion 6.0en_GBGlyph Sets (you can see why I couldn't recall the full path from memory), and in it I find two little files “Glyph Set 1” — which I made for the occasion — and “Recent Glyphs”.
That's on a Windows 7 machine, the full path may well be slightly, somewhat, or entirely different on other versions of Windows, and possibly also whether ID was installed as “Administrator” or “User”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberFirst impression: a nice, clean-looking curriculum of someone comfortable with the concept of “using white space”. Not crowding lots of information, but clearly tabulated and using short to-the-point sentences.
A few loose remarks ;)
* Why'd you use the Distiller? Export to PDF is very trustworthy …
* Hot Pink: mmm … I think I like it. But it's tantalizingly close to 100% Magenta (I read it as 2% Cyan, 92% Magenta) — I'd make it a full 100%.
* Garamond Pro for your main text — isn't that a bit too lofty? The other day I chose it for a collection of poems, but for a CV you might want to consider a slightly less formal font — Minion Pro pairs nicely with Myriad Pro. Unless you want to make a personal point by using this font!
* On the other hand, you are using two sans fonts that visually don't match — Helvetica and Myriad. It's OK to use another font for your personal logo/infographic at the top lefts, but your are mixing sanses in your main text as well.
* Multiple-column layout: excellent! It shows you know how to distribute text and images, and are not afraid of making it just a bit more difficult.
* '4 top contributions' — I'd write “Four” in full here.
* Table on page 2: it fits snugly in the allocated “text” area, but it gets very drawn out vertically. You might want to make it just a little bit wider … (that should make it look better; if it doesn't, you might as well leave it as it is).
* Another plus (in my opinion): you used en-dashes between date ranges!
* Write out “BS” in full? (I dunno, calling it “BS” might be comme il faut in the specific area of work you are looking in to).
Theunis De Jong
MemberApart from a brief 30-day stint with the trial, and in general blissfully ignorant of ID's multi-version shenanigans, I've never used CS5 …
Oh wait, I still have my Scripting Resources.
(…)
No, “ExportFormat.INDESIGN_INTERCHANGE: Exports to InDesign CS3 interchange (INX) format.” no longer can be found in the Export Formats list for CS5. You could still try with its numerical value (1229871136), but that's a real long shot.
Theunis De Jong
MemberAren't those stored in files somewhere in your Users/[your name]/Adobe/InDesign/5.0/ [etc.] path? I've seen these somewhere before …
(Can't recall the actual path from memory :P and also not “behind the right computer”)
Theunis De Jong
MemberIt states ofcourse whats in between the extra parenthesis! OR is that it is in separated inbetween parenthesis)
Yeah, you would put a ? right after a single code if you want that one once or not at all — as in “Figures?”, which is a neat way of looking for both “Figure” and “Figures”. Right after a parenthesized group it works on that entire group.
So in this case it looks for (decimals), then optionally (-decimals), meaning that it will match “(10)” and “(10-22)” but not “(10-)” or “(-10)”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThe trick is to recognize the actual underlying pattern:
A number between parentheses, OR
a number range, indicated by
a number, a dash, a number, OR
any of the above repeated and separated by semicolons.
Without testing, this ought to do the job (I inserted double backslashes, which seems to defeat the slash-eating imp :D ):
(d+(-d+)?(;d+(-d+)?)*)
Notice that the 2nd half is exactly the same as the first, but with a semicolon in front and to be repeated zero or more times.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThat would be Soxy (https://development.creativepro.com/uti…..in-osx.php).
You don't mention you need this, but just in case: accidentally promoting a CS3 file to CS5 is as simple as just a single mouse-click at the wrong time. The only way you can see this happened is because InDesign will add [Converted] to the file name in the window. The other way around, backsaving from CS5 to CS3 is not possible — for that you need CS4 as an intermediate.
Theunis De Jong
MemberNo, the dictionary and your H&J settings work in tandem — neither really “overrides” the other.
That is, if a word can be hyphenated according to the dictionary as “dic~tion~ary”, and your H&J settings (wasn't that a Quark term?) are set to at least 4 characters after first/4 characters before last, InDesign will fetch the possible hyphenation points from the dictionary, then discard the ones that don't work with the settings (and in this case none will be left, so it won't hyphenate this particular word).
The same goes for the Hyphen Limit; if ID already hyphenated the last word in three lines in a row, it won't hyphenate another one ever; regardless of what the dictionary says.
The entire system works like this: InDesign examines every possible combination of justification and hyphenation for an entire paragraph. That leads to a long list of possible breaking points; but all of them should be “valid”, that is, none of them will have less than four characters when hyphenated, and none of them will result in more than 3 hyphenated words at line ends. Then it assigns a score to each of these solutions, based upon (I think) how much the spacing would diverge from your preferred values per single line. A second run on the paragraph then tries to avoid a tight-set line followed by a loose-set one; that also gets lots of “negative points”. Finally, the mathematically best set of breaking points is used.
But the very first thing to do is assigning the correct language to all of your text! In your case it's not just the main reason for the badly broken words, it's the only reason. InDesign is extremely good in hyphenating “normal” text, and even does a fair job on specialized terminology (one of the reasons ID has a “medical” dictionary is because lots of medical terms are not based on English, but rather on Latin and Greek, which uses a different hyphenation system). Actually, most of the 'hyphenation errors' I encounter are in names, both foreign (“Sc-heidegger”) and, uhm, USA English (“Ma-cIntyre” — UK English hyphenates it correct!).
-
AuthorPosts
