Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Theunis De Jong
MemberNo, you don't have to have the Distiller installed to export from InDesign.
Export a PDF, open it with Acrobat, and look in the File Properties; under “Creator” it will say “InDesign”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThe file opened in my CS4, and Roland could open the CS4 exported IDML without any problems on his CS5.
I also could find no physical problem with the file — all of its data structures are accounted for. It must have been CS5 was feelin' miserly. Filed under “uhwhat?”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberYah — I received the file and it opened just fine in CS4. It's on its way back to ya as an IDML, and just for fun's sake as an INX — I dunno, if the IDML also fails you can try that :P
I have been running different versions of ID side by side for years, and as long as you install them chronologically everything runs without a hitch.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThat sounds like a lot of work … with, honestly, no up-front guarantees.
Send the CS4 to me, yeah? I'll see if I can open it on my CS4 and return it as an IDML. I have a hotmail account, under my usual nomme de guerre “jongware”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberDefinitely, positively, absolutely do not install the older version alongside a newer one!
My suggestion would be to try and save as IDML from CS4, and then opening it into CS5 … but for that you need a working CS4 :P
Install your CS4 onto another computer?
(Slightly Related: on my Mac OS X, would it be safe to try installing an older version as another user, or do the ID installations Root Too Deep inside the entire system? I'm not too keen on doing this experiment myself, just for the glory of being the First To Know.)
December 14, 2010 at 5:47 am in reply to: How can you add YouTube Streaming Content Into an Indesign Document #58103Theunis De Jong
MemberConricus, I'm surprised that you are confusing a HTML layout design program (which of course should be able to link to anything on the web) with a page layout program that happens to be able to export to HTML and SWF.
Are you sure you are using the right tool to do what you want?
Theunis De Jong
Memberall files' content is not autoflowing. Is there any solution for this?
Yes, see the Help on importing documents.
Script has been used new Indesign file everytime. But I want to use my own templete. Is this possible?
What script is that? (And see the Help on using templates.)
December 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm in reply to: Any Way to Synchronize a Book to Turn On/Off Layers? #58070Theunis De Jong
MemberHi Alan,
.. a bit rudely, imho — I've never done anything to ID that would warrant such shabby treatment ..
( :D If that happens to me, I usually take it as its revenge for all the times I .. blessed the dear thing from the bottom of me heart.)
Well, I dunno. I don't know for sure how enabling Layout Adjustment and changing margins would work from within a script — it's not something I've done so far. I've never even sync'ed master pages manually across a book! I must say that I am a bit wary of all of the synching functions, it seems you get all or nothing. Last time I needed to synchronize a couple of GREP styles across a single 660 p./58 document book, I didn't rely on it either but wrote a script that checked stuff instead of changing it blindly!
But I will look into it. If I can make it work by script, I can only test it on some small fry docs, so it's entirely probable that it runs at my end but still has difficulties with your (presumably) more complex documents.
December 10, 2010 at 5:09 am in reply to: How do I apply a drop cap when the sentence starts in quotes? #58059Theunis De Jong
MemberIngenious, indeed.
The GREP style is applied automatically; only thing is you have to remember to manually set the number of characters for the Drop Cap to 2. Perhaps it's safest to create a separate paragraph style for this.
December 9, 2010 at 3:22 pm in reply to: Any Way to Synchronize a Book to Turn On/Off Layers? #58054Theunis De Jong
MemberAh, yep, got it.
Warning: this script may switch off all visible layers in some documents! (I'm just sayin'.)
The initial state of the checkboxes in the dialog box cannot be trusted! It only shows a valid state for the layers in the first document in the book (on and off); it cannot check all other documents, because same-named layers may be on in one document and off in another. I don't think scripting can handle an “undetermined” state of its checkboxes, but even if it did, well, I just hacked this up in 5 minutes ;)
Click here to download the script; use with care, make a back-up, check your documents after running it, don't trust strangers, & oh — happy holidays by the way!
Theunis De Jong
MemberTheunis De Jong
MemberSee Importing multiple Word docs into InDesign on the Adobe InDesign forum.
Theunis De Jong
MemberPlease define what you think is “a Unicode font”.
Theunis De Jong
MemberProblems with PDFs on the iPad are Apple's fault (just as problems with PDFs in OS X's Preview).
You could try asking for other options or file formats for embedding the movie in an Acrobat forum (https://forums.adobe.com/commun…..ty/acrobat, for example), although it sounds like they also are likely to offer nothing more than their sympathies.
A better place to ask would be Apple's own forum :(
December 7, 2010 at 3:05 am in reply to: Can I create a drop cap and nested style once and then keep applying it? CS4 #58015Theunis De Jong
MemberAh, I get it — RWI shows you how to do it once, not as part of a style.
Yup: the disadvantage of that method is twofold. First, you cannot edit the property globally, and second, you get a '+' added to that paragraph, showing it has local formatting.
-
AuthorPosts
