Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Theunis De Jong
MemberHoi Anjo,
Geen hulp… — Tried that myself a while ago, and it simply does not work. GREP styles appear to be limited to one single paragraph (you can't run over the end of a paragraph as well).
Theunis De Jong
MemberNot with this version of InDesign … (And I wouldn't hold my breath for the next either.)
The GREP styles are “just” some sort of fancy automated search-and-replace, so theoretically you can use the regular search-and-replace to fill in the character style you need. But it's not possible to do automatically.
Thought #1: ah, that dirty mind of mine! Change the paragraph return to a soft line break … (and don't do that if your text is justified…)
Thought #2: I have no experience at all with line styles. No idea why that would work, but — on the other hand, I've ben surprised before by off-the-wall tips with these.
Theunis De Jong
MemberHoi Anjo,
Geen hulp… — Tried that myself a while ago, and it simply does not work. GREP styles appear to be limited to one single paragraph (you can't run over the end of a paragraph as well).
Theunis De Jong
MemberSo let's see how this would work in our world. Say we put in fold marks outside the trim. If they don't touch the inside of the page trim, then they would fall off if we did not indicate slug in the document setup?
Correct.
I just tried it out (usually I work with plain text pages ;-), and contrary to what I believed before, it seems you have to phyisically set the Bleed to more than the Slug — i.e., the Bleed value includes the Slug and does not add to it.
So initially I had set both bleed and slug to “5mm” and was surprised to see only one additional 5 mm edge around my test doc. After setting the Slug to “10mm”, I got the extra space around bleed.
Theunis De Jong
MemberTim: Sam needs two same pages with (possibly) different slug and/or bleed sizes to be lined up.
Sam: You can place your files and have them automatically cropped to the Page size, which is the only constant you have. After placing, you can enlarge their frames to display the slug, without moving the page off its position.
It appears to be the same as bleed area covered […] If it's the bottom, then why does the New document dialog box allow you to make slug info on all four sides?
Without knowing what Adobe or David told you, but slug is there to allow any amount of extra information for the printer and/or binder and/or co-workers. Bleed *is* required, and you cannot (safely) put information in it like “This side should point up”. But you *can* put that line safely into the slug — on the top, bottom, or sides, whereever you want.
Theunis De Jong
MemberSo let's see how this would work in our world. Say we put in fold marks outside the trim. If they don't touch the inside of the page trim, then they would fall off if we did not indicate slug in the document setup?
Correct.
I just tried it out (usually I work with plain text pages ;-), and contrary to what I believed before, it seems you have to phyisically set the Bleed to more than the Slug — i.e., the Bleed value includes the Slug and does not add to it.
So initially I had set both bleed and slug to “5mm” and was surprised to see only one additional 5 mm edge around my test doc. After setting the Slug to “10mm”, I got the extra space around bleed.
Theunis De Jong
MemberTim: Sam needs two same pages with (possibly) different slug and/or bleed sizes to be lined up.
Sam: You can place your files and have them automatically cropped to the Page size, which is the only constant you have. After placing, you can enlarge their frames to display the slug, without moving the page off its position.
It appears to be the same as bleed area covered […] If it's the bottom, then why does the New document dialog box allow you to make slug info on all four sides?
Without knowing what Adobe or David told you, but slug is there to allow any amount of extra information for the printer and/or binder and/or co-workers. Bleed *is* required, and you cannot (safely) put information in it like “This side should point up”. But you *can* put that line safely into the slug — on the top, bottom, or sides, whereever you want.
Theunis De Jong
Member“Best”, as in safest, or “best” as in smallest file? That's why there are two options ;-)
These are really a remnant of old Postscript drivers and printers that could not handle raw binary bytes spoon-fed to them. Even then though, it was usually not a problem, and the last decade or so I've been using Binary with no problem at all.
(Background: this sets the output — storage — format for all data streams; not particularly plain text, more stuff like fonts and images. If you choose “ASCII”, the binary contents of these files are written to the output file in hexadecimal format (0123456789ABCDEF …), or a modern equivalent such as ASCII-85. That's to ensure the receiving party — a printer, or perhaps some really backwards mail protocol — will not try to 'handle' binary codes as End of File (Ctrl-Z, dreaded by programmers ever since the Days of DOS) and end-of-line codes (Carriage Returns that get converted to CR/LF pairs, or the other way around).
Binary is just that: the literal binary bytes, Ctrl-Zs, CRs and LFs and everything else you can throw into a binary file.
Nowadays, the receiving end can't ever get confused of what's what; both types of data are clearly and loudly announced in the file before the actual data stream starts.)
Theunis De Jong
MemberNot possible — alas.
You are correct, it *is* an option in Photoshop! First thing I did when I saw that, I went through ID's Preferences, but no luck there. It has been mentioned before on Adobe's own ID forums; you can add your vote in a Feature Request (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform) for a next version …
Theunis De Jong
Member“Best”, as in safest, or “best” as in smallest file? That's why there are two options ;-)
These are really a remnant of old Postscript drivers and printers that could not handle raw binary bytes spoon-fed to them. Even then though, it was usually not a problem, and the last decade or so I've been using Binary with no problem at all.
(Background: this sets the output — storage — format for all data streams; not particularly plain text, more stuff like fonts and images. If you choose “ASCII”, the binary contents of these files are written to the output file in hexadecimal format (0123456789ABCDEF …), or a modern equivalent such as ASCII-85. That's to ensure the receiving party — a printer, or perhaps some really backwards mail protocol — will not try to 'handle' binary codes as End of File (Ctrl-Z, dreaded by programmers ever since the Days of DOS) and end-of-line codes (Carriage Returns that get converted to CR/LF pairs, or the other way around).
Binary is just that: the literal binary bytes, Ctrl-Zs, CRs and LFs and everything else you can throw into a binary file.
Nowadays, the receiving end can't ever get confused of what's what; both types of data are clearly and loudly announced in the file before the actual data stream starts.)
Theunis De Jong
MemberNot possible — alas.
You are correct, it *is* an option in Photoshop! First thing I did when I saw that, I went through ID's Preferences, but no luck there. It has been mentioned before on Adobe's own ID forums; you can add your vote in a Feature Request (https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform) for a next version …
January 30, 2010 at 9:17 am in reply to: Why does my Background image color changes when I place an image ? #54718Theunis De Jong
MemberUsing Transparency forces the display to use “accurate colors” for your current Document Color space. Since not every color can be converted accurately from RGB to CMYK (InDesign's default color space), ID converts them to the nearest possible value.
You are not printing the document — which does need it to be in CMYK space –, so you can simply change the blend space to RGB. It's in the File menu, I believe.
January 30, 2010 at 2:17 am in reply to: Why does my Background image color changes when I place an image ? #51710Theunis De Jong
MemberUsing Transparency forces the display to use “accurate colors” for your current Document Color space. Since not every color can be converted accurately from RGB to CMYK (InDesign's default color space), ID converts them to the nearest possible value.
You are not printing the document — which does need it to be in CMYK space –, so you can simply change the blend space to RGB. It's in the File menu, I believe.
Theunis De Jong
MemberHey Hank, two (tiny!) addenda to your excellent step-by-step. First off, this is exactly how I taught myself to create covers!
Rotate the frame so that the top of the letters face the front cover, and the bottom of the letters face the back cover.
It's easier to explain the function rather than the form :-)
The spine should be readable when the book is lying flat on its back, with the front up.
Am I correctly remembering that the German style is the other way around? (And do they have a logical reason, other than “It's been done like this fur years”?)
Place the text frame in the Spine Area – adjust the position so that the text is visually centered on the Spine.
Simply set that frame's height to the spine width (remember, it's rotated) and set Vertically Centered in the text frame properties. If you have an all-caps (or Mostly Caps) title, you can set the Baseline Options to Cap Height. Otherwise use x-height, so lower case characters will be exactly in the center. Don't use Leading, it's of no use on a spine.
Theunis De Jong
MemberHey Hank, two (tiny!) addenda to your excellent step-by-step. First off, this is exactly how I taught myself to create covers!
Rotate the frame so that the top of the letters face the front cover, and the bottom of the letters face the back cover.
It's easier to explain the function rather than the form :-)
The spine should be readable when the book is lying flat on its back, with the front up.
Am I correctly remembering that the German style is the other way around? (And do they have a logical reason, other than “It's been done like this fur years”?)
Place the text frame in the Spine Area – adjust the position so that the text is visually centered on the Spine.
Simply set that frame's height to the spine width (remember, it's rotated) and set Vertically Centered in the text frame properties. If you have an all-caps (or Mostly Caps) title, you can set the Baseline Options to Cap Height. Otherwise use x-height, so lower case characters will be exactly in the center. Don't use Leading, it's of no use on a spine.
-
AuthorPosts
