Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,335 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Aligning text, flush with the right margin. #55659

    No — Optical Margin Alignment shifts all other text away from the frame edge :-)

    There are tons of ways to do this, but all of them involve either separating gray background from text, or header from rest-of-text. (As I suggested in the Adobe Forum.)

    Yoshi, did you try any of these? Won't they work for you?

    in reply to: Aligning text, flush with the right margin. #52660

    No — Optical Margin Alignment shifts all other text away from the frame edge :-)

    There are tons of ways to do this, but all of them involve either separating gray background from text, or header from rest-of-text. (As I suggested in the Adobe Forum.)

    Yoshi, did you try any of these? Won't they work for you?

    in reply to: Grep question #55654

    Lookbehind does not accept variable length arguments — you cannot use “+”, “?”, “*”, or any value x other than n in “{n,[x]}”. You can only group together multiple fixed-length lookbehinds like this:

    ((?<=[ul ]{14})|(?<=[ul ]{15})),

    But I don't think it's necessary — if you already found 14, why would you want to test if there are even more?

    in reply to: Grep question #52662

    Lookbehind does not accept variable length arguments — you cannot use “+”, “?”, “*”, or any value x other than n in “{n,[x]}”. You can only group together multiple fixed-length lookbehinds like this:

    ((?<=[ul ]{14})|(?<=[ul ]{15})),

    But I don't think it's necessary — if you already found 14, why would you want to test if there are even more?

    in reply to: Cross Reference Alerts Won't Go Away #55642

    Perhaps this might help: today I had a similar problem, when exporting ID warned that “one or more cross-references are out of whack”.

    Rather than trying to find out which one (in a four-page table of contents, referring to any of about 40 chapters spread over 8 files), I called up the Preflight Panel and checked if there was anything available for Cross Refs. Yup — there was. I made a new profile, checking only the refs, and switched it on. 1 sec. later it told me the page number of a single reference; and clicking this page number took me right to the little troublemaker.

    I dunno what ID did, internally; I only had to open the corresponding referred-to file and the Preflight warning went away. Exported without a hitch, then closed the document — and then the Book panel showed a “Modified” warning! Well, I had my PDF, so I ignored that … until next time … (echoing “ha ha ha”'s in the distance).

    in reply to: Cross Reference Alerts Won’t Go Away #52640

    Perhaps this might help: today I had a similar problem, when exporting ID warned that “one or more cross-references are out of whack”.

    Rather than trying to find out which one (in a four-page table of contents, referring to any of about 40 chapters spread over 8 files), I called up the Preflight Panel and checked if there was anything available for Cross Refs. Yup — there was. I made a new profile, checking only the refs, and switched it on. 1 sec. later it told me the page number of a single reference; and clicking this page number took me right to the little troublemaker.

    I dunno what ID did, internally; I only had to open the corresponding referred-to file and the Preflight warning went away. Exported without a hitch, then closed the document — and then the Book panel showed a “Modified” warning! Well, I had my PDF, so I ignored that … until next time … (echoing “ha ha ha”'s in the distance).

    in reply to: CS5 Panels showing blank – but work #55631

    Previous versions' Panel problems could be put down to a possibly problematic (prehistoric) graphics driver. Payed a visit to the NVidia pages yet?

    in reply to: CS5 Panels showing blank – but work #52632

    Previous versions' Panel problems could be put down to a possibly problematic (prehistoric) graphics driver. Payed a visit to the NVidia pages yet?

    As far as I'm concerned, you may put your name at the top :-)

    My JS knowledge didn't come from sleeping with a notebook under my pillow — I learned my trixx from others as well, just passing them on.

    As far as I'm concerned, you may put your name at the top :-)

    My JS knowledge didn't come from sleeping with a notebook under my pillow — I learned my trixx from others as well, just passing them on.

    in reply to: End of table cell character for search/replace #55596

    1. Click the top left corner of the table — the position where the cursor changes to a suspiciously Word-alike right-bottom pointing fat arrow. The entire table gets selected.

    2. Call up Find & Change. You need a fancy-pansy GREP search here so select that tab.

    3. Put this into the Find What box: r+$ (that's “Backslash r for Return, a Plus for any amount, once or more, At End of Cell/Story/Footnote — obviously, only Cell gets used jere)

    4. Put a single space in the Change To box.

    5. Make sure the scope is set to “Selection”. Since CS3, ID tries to guess what you want it to be but often gets it wrong :-P

    6. Click the Change All button.

    7. Sit back and enjoy the feeling of a job well done.

    in reply to: InDesign CS5 – Tables? #55591

    As far as I know: None whatsoever. As in null, zero, nichts, nada, rien. They must already function absolutely perfect, don't they?

    Work your way through https://help.adobe.com/en_US/in&#8230;..6ff6a.html and report back when/if you find something …

    in reply to: End of table cell character for search/replace #52601

    1. Click the top left corner of the table — the position where the cursor changes to a suspiciously Word-alike right-bottom pointing fat arrow. The entire table gets selected.

    2. Call up Find & Change. You need a fancy-pansy GREP search here so select that tab.

    3. Put this into the Find What box: r+$ (that's “Backslash r for Return, a Plus for any amount, once or more, At End of Cell/Story/Footnote — obviously, only Cell gets used jere)

    4. Put a single space in the Change To box.

    5. Make sure the scope is set to “Selection”. Since CS3, ID tries to guess what you want it to be but often gets it wrong :-P

    6. Click the Change All button.

    7. Sit back and enjoy the feeling of a job well done.

    in reply to: InDesign CS5 – Tables? #52597

    As far as I know: None whatsoever. As in null, zero, nichts, nada, rien. They must already function absolutely perfect, don't they?

    Work your way through https://help.adobe.com/en_US/in&#8230;..6ff6a.html and report back when/if you find something …

    in reply to: PDF to indd conversion… #55579

    So Acrobat Pro does that!? Wow.

    I'm kidding — Acrobat Pro has nothing to do with this, at all. (Perhaps you are confused about the Edit Objects function — that does not open InDesign, but Illustrator.)

    You cannot “convert” a PDF to InDesign, just like you cannot “convert” an image of a scanned page into a real text file. Of course there are specialized tools that might or might not get the exact text, or at least something that looks like it — but it's not 'converted'.

    It's the same with a PDF; and for that, the tool is PDF2ID. For some combinations of requirements, source documents, and expectations, it seems to have worked; for others, it didn't.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,051 through 1,065 (of 1,335 total)