Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,335 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Should gold overprint or knock out? #56156

    Gold ink is not exactly the same as other 'regular' inks, as it is much less oilier. I think I've heard it's best when printed directly onto the paper (a knock out), and it may cause smudges when printed on top of other inks.

    By the way, as almost all inks, it's not really opaque, so the apparent color will change when printed over another color.

    To be totally sure, you should ask your printer. He will know how his brand of gold ink behaves on his own press.

    in reply to: Should gold overprint or knock out? #53210

    Gold ink is not exactly the same as other 'regular' inks, as it is much less oilier. I think I've heard it's best when printed directly onto the paper (a knock out), and it may cause smudges when printed on top of other inks.

    By the way, as almost all inks, it's not really opaque, so the apparent color will change when printed over another color.

    To be totally sure, you should ask your printer. He will know how his brand of gold ink behaves on his own press.

    in reply to: CS4 Tagged Text File Imports as Plain Text #56126

    Good tip! (Perhaps an oversight from Mac based Adobe programmers?)

    Helios Textpad is a good Windows editor where you can inspect and change the line endings and text encoding.

    in reply to: CS4 Tagged Text File Imports as Plain Text #53125

    Good tip! (Perhaps an oversight from Mac based Adobe programmers?)

    Helios Textpad is a good Windows editor where you can inspect and change the line endings and text encoding.

    This is what I came up with, for the moment. It gathers ranges of Master names and inserts them on a page of their own at the end of your current document. No color labels so far, because there is no immediate connection between UIColors (Salmon, Gold) and RGB colors, so these would have to be converted one by one. Still, it's a start.

    (I didn't realize when writing the script, but the very final [None] entry is, of course, the page the script adds.)

    endPage = app.activeDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.AT_END);
    endPage.appliedMaster = null;
    someFrame = endPage.textFrames.add ({geometricBounds:[endPage.bounds[0]+endPage.marginPreferences.top, endPage.bounds[1]+endPage.marginPreferences.left, endPage.bounds[2]-endPage.marginPreferences.bottom, endPage.bounds[3]-endPage.marginPreferences.right]});

    text = [];
    currentPage = 0;
    nextPage = currentPage;
    while (nextPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length)
    {
    currentMaster = app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].appliedMaster;
    while (nextPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length)
    {
    if (app.activeDocument.pages[nextPage].appliedMaster != currentMaster)
    break;
    nextPage++;
    }
    if (currentMaster == null)
    name = “[None]”;
    else
    name = currentMaster.name;
    if (currentPage == nextPage-1)
    text.push (“P.: “+app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].name+”: “+name);
    else
    text.push (“Pp: “+app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].name+”-“+app.activeDocument.pages[nextPage-1].name+”: “+name);
    currentPage = nextPage;
    }

    someFrame.contents = text.join(“r”);

    in reply to: "Adobe PDF Presets" issue… #56117

    Okay … I can actually duplicate this behaviour, but only if I export to “test.txt” instead of “test” (which is saved as “test.pdf”) and even “test.” (saved as “test..pdf” (!)).

    Does your ID document name contain a period? (… unlikely to be the actual problem, because even if I name a file “test.txt.indd”, it gets exported by default as “test.txt.pdf”. Nevertheless … does it?)

    This is what I came up with, for the moment. It gathers ranges of Master names and inserts them on a page of their own at the end of your current document. No color labels so far, because there is no immediate connection between UIColors (Salmon, Gold) and RGB colors, so these would have to be converted one by one. Still, it's a start.

    (I didn't realize when writing the script, but the very final [None] entry is, of course, the page the script adds.)

    endPage = app.activeDocument.pages.add(LocationOptions.AT_END);
    endPage.appliedMaster = null;
    someFrame = endPage.textFrames.add ({geometricBounds:[endPage.bounds[0]+endPage.marginPreferences.top, endPage.bounds[1]+endPage.marginPreferences.left, endPage.bounds[2]-endPage.marginPreferences.bottom, endPage.bounds[3]-endPage.marginPreferences.right]});

    text = [];
    currentPage = 0;
    nextPage = currentPage;
    while (nextPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length)
    {
    currentMaster = app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].appliedMaster;
    while (nextPage < app.activeDocument.pages.length)
    {
    if (app.activeDocument.pages[nextPage].appliedMaster != currentMaster)
    break;
    nextPage++;
    }
    if (currentMaster == null)
    name = “[None]”;
    else
    name = currentMaster.name;
    if (currentPage == nextPage-1)
    text.push (“P.: “+app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].name+”: “+name);
    else
    text.push (“Pp: “+app.activeDocument.pages[currentPage].name+”-“+app.activeDocument.pages[nextPage-1].name+”: “+name);
    currentPage = nextPage;
    }

    someFrame.contents = text.join(“r”);

    in reply to: Weird behaviour for Place command #56113

    (Blush) Aw shucks …

    But you are correct to be careful: you may think you have a cursor in your text because you see the I-beam cursor, but you might have a text frame selected, and in that case you will replace the entire frame.

    It's safest to stop and think what you want to do every time you are about to place something: either insert an image into the text (check: do you see your text cursor?), or put it anywhere on the pasteboard for later positioning (check: do you have nothing selected? (And to de-select everything, you can always hit the Deselect All key combo: Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + A.))

    in reply to: Weird behaviour for Place command #56108

    Check “Replace Selected Item” …

    (ID treats a text cursor inside text as “selection”, even though the length of the selection is 0.)

    FontLab & Python: cool! That makes a good start.

    You chould check out Javascript — it's not a hard language to learn, although the InDesign interface can be bewildering at first (and second, and third) looks … It can take a while before you get the mental 'click'.

    The color label property for masterspreads is called “pageColor”, but its actual value depends on its type (as is the case with lots of properties in InDesign). With that, I dare not suggest a script from memory — I'll have a go when I'm at my CS5 (trial) system.

    in reply to: “Adobe PDF Presets” issue… #53135

    Okay … I can actually duplicate this behaviour, but only if I export to “test.txt” instead of “test” (which is saved as “test.pdf”) and even “test.” (saved as “test..pdf” (!)).

    Does your ID document name contain a period? (… unlikely to be the actual problem, because even if I name a file “test.txt.indd”, it gets exported by default as “test.txt.pdf”. Nevertheless … does it?)

    in reply to: Weird behaviour for Place command #53152

    (Blush) Aw shucks …

    But you are correct to be careful: you may think you have a cursor in your text because you see the I-beam cursor, but you might have a text frame selected, and in that case you will replace the entire frame.

    It's safest to stop and think what you want to do every time you are about to place something: either insert an image into the text (check: do you see your text cursor?), or put it anywhere on the pasteboard for later positioning (check: do you have nothing selected? (And to de-select everything, you can always hit the Deselect All key combo: Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + A.))

    in reply to: Weird behaviour for Place command #53150

    Check “Replace Selected Item” …

    (ID treats a text cursor inside text as “selection”, even though the length of the selection is 0.)

    FontLab & Python: cool! That makes a good start.

    You chould check out Javascript — it's not a hard language to learn, although the InDesign interface can be bewildering at first (and second, and third) looks … It can take a while before you get the mental 'click'.

    The color label property for masterspreads is called “pageColor”, but its actual value depends on its type (as is the case with lots of properties in InDesign). With that, I dare not suggest a script from memory — I'll have a go when I'm at my CS5 (trial) system.

    You are always welcome to submit your requests to Adobe, but …

    1. More than 7 x 7 thumbnails per page — are you serious? And that's to “discuss the book content with my client” — who's your client? The king of Liliput and Blefescu? What page size can you possibly print this on to have something even remotely readable?

    2. Apparently, the colors are just for use in the interface. Still, perhaps there is something in that idea. But your summary thing is far too specific to be of general use. Fortunately, the page label colors are exposed to the Scripting model, so it's quite possible to write a script to do these calculations for you.

Viewing 15 posts - 931 through 945 (of 1,335 total)