Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Theunis De Jong
MemberGREP styles cannot do this, for two reasons — you can filter on the en space and regular space at the start (why these?), but not “just on 1/8 inch indented paragraphs”. GREP styles don't “see” indents. The second reason is that GREP styles cannot apply a paragraph style (which would be a contradiction!).
Nested styles cannot “do” this either — also for two reasons. First off, a nested style has to be applied first, and if you do that, you might as well apply the correct style right away … Second reason is, as with GREP styles, a nested style can only apply a character style.
On “automatically”: the only 'automatic' formatting InDesign can apply is with a GREP or nested style, and the formatting it applies has to be a character style. InDesign does not apply paragraph styles automatically.
I think you should use a simple search-and-replace — search for paragraphs with a left indent of .125″, and apply the paragraph style in the Replace.
Theunis De Jong
Member(?<!.)d+(?!.)
There is a caveat emptor with this; it assumes the spaces between your “aardvarks” and “234” are also italics; if not, this GREP will find the number, because it's a number in italics without anything before or after (in italics).
Theunis De Jong
MemberHey Eugene — that fired the correct neurons! Yep, the same question: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/676743
I experimented with aspell (a free command line spellcheck utility), but found it too cumbersome to work with — export to plain text, spell check, gather results, find original location of the errors thru' another script …
Heath Horton of Mindsteam seems to have picked up this particular challenge, so you might visit his website and check if there is any progress.
January 31, 2011 at 5:03 am in reply to: How to reapply styles to get rid of local formating automatically? #58563Theunis De Jong
MemberTry this, for the main text:
app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().paragraphs.everyItem().clearOverrides(OverrideType.ALL);
I think it doesn't work for text in tables and/or footnotes, because these are part of some other internal model.
Theunis De Jong
MemberLocating the proper folder is extremely easy, using the following trick:
Start your InDesign, and make sure the Scripts panel is visible.
Right-click the “User” folder; the friendly pop-up offers you the choice of one item only: “Reveal in Explorer” (Windows; Mac users will see “Reveal in Finder”).
Windows will open an Explorer Window, with (most likely) just one folder inside it: “Scripts Panel”. Double-click that to open, and that's where the script ought to go.
When saved in the proper place, it will immediately appear in the Scripts Panel — no re-start required!
January 28, 2011 at 1:55 pm in reply to: Coloured box around selected text without using frame tool #58550Theunis De Jong
MemberWell, it works:

— but with some minor caveats. It seems the default top offset, 0 (in your preferred units of measure), aligns with the baseline of the first line. So you have to adjust for the line height yourself — by eye, because InDesign's line height does not start on the baseline but a little below. It's similar to the “Top Paragraph Rule” in that aspect.
Another one is that the added definitions don't appear in Tagged Text Export, INX, or IDML.
And another one is that you can only apply it per paragraph style, trying to access it with the Paragraph panel pops up a friendly alert saying “In Next Version” :)
But– it does What It Promises! Edit the text inside the box/border to make it more or less lines long, and the box automatically adjusts!
January 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm in reply to: Coloured box around selected text without using frame tool #58548Theunis De Jong
MemberJAB:
“Mac and Win versions available for InDesign CS3/CS4/CS5.”
— so I bet DTPUtils will be interested to hear it doesn't work on CS3!
January 28, 2011 at 5:37 am in reply to: Coloured box around selected text without using frame tool #58541Theunis De Jong
MemberI intend to d/l the demo and try it out. The demo doesn't print, but that's o-kay by me — I'm pretty sure DTPUtils know their Page Adornments inside-out. :)
I'll try this at home, probably somewhere in the week-end; not at work, 'cause no matter what, I'm not going to install any demo on my work machine! (What if my colleagues get a “You need this plug-in” message on every file I've made?)
Theunis De Jong
MemberOh whatever, I'm bored — here is a longer script with a fancy dropdown list. You can populate the list with your favourite values, and assign a keyboard shortcut to this script to have all of them at the tips of your fingers.
(It's a Javascript; copy, paste into Adobe's ESTK Editor, and save as “NudgeNudge.jsx” into your User Scripts folder.)
//DESCRIPTION:Set Cursor Nudge Value
// A Jongware Script 28-Jan-2011var yourList = [“0.01”, “0.1”, “0.25”, “0.5”, “1”, “2”, “5”, 10];
var val = app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.cursorKeyIncrement;
var aDialog = app.dialogs.add({name:”Nudge Nudge (Wink Wink)”, canCancel:true});
with (aDialog)
{
with(dialogColumns.add())
{
with(dialogRows.add())
{
staticTexts.add({staticLabel:”&Nudge”, minWidth:80});
var setWidth = realComboboxes.add({editValue:val, minWidth:100, largeNudge:10, smallNudge:1, minimumValue:0.01,maximumValue:100, stringList:yourList});
}
}
}if (aDialog.show() == true)
app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.cursorKeyIncrement = setWidth.editValue;Theunis De Jong
MemberWhat an odd way to work :) Is that to move objects around very precisely? If I need that, I type the value right into the Control Panel position fields.
The default Nudges include these ones:
Nudge right — Default: Right Arrow
Nudge right 1/10 — Default: Shift+Ctrl+Right Arrow
Nudge right 1/10 duplicate — Default: Shift+Ctrl+Alt+Right Arrow
Nudge right duplicate — Default: Alt+Right Arrow
Nudge right x10 — Default: Shift+Right Arrow
Nudge right x10 duplicate — Default: Shift+Alt+Right Arrowso by default you can use your standard increment, as well as 1/10th and x10 of its value — if you enter “10mm” as the default nudge, you can move around in 1 mm steps as well as 10 cm (that last one might be a bit too much).
Here is a small script to change the values to some preset, but you need a different script for each of your values and (probably) assign a shortcut key to each of the scripts as well (since you're obviously a Keyboard Jockey, as I am!).
This simple one-line Javascript sets the increment to whatever you fancy:
app.activeDocument.viewPreferences.cursorKeyIncrement = “0.5mm”;Theunis De Jong
MemberI meant the “Show Options” button in the “Place” dialog. The “All files” is in the file type filter list, but you won't need it if the file extension is just “.txt” as this already qualifies as an “Importable file”. (I think I added “any files” because I also tried with non-standard file extensions.)
My main point was, if InDesign properly recognizes the file you selected as Tagged Text, it shows this dialog:
rather than the Text Import Options where all you can do is mess with character sets and hard returns. If you get the plain text import options, you can hit “Cancel” right away, instead of waiting for ID to load a useless file.
Theunis De Jong
MemberI recall from a similar post on the InDesign User's forum that the secret lies in the line endings.
Try https://forums.adobe.com/message/1304548 (it's not the one I was expecting to find, but there you go. Seems the Search Post functionality on Adobe forums is broken. Again.)
(After remembering the Magic Keyword to Google For:) This one was it: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/746804
In another related post I found a tip of myself ( :) ):
“I did find out something new, tho' (for me). If you select “Show Options”, you can see right away if ID recognizes any text file as Tagged text — even though you selected it with the “All files” type. ID shows an ASCII options dialog for plain, and Tagged Text options for recognized stuff.”
January 27, 2011 at 6:14 pm in reply to: Coloured box around selected text without using frame tool #58527Theunis De Jong
MemberDTP Utils has a custom plugin to do paragraph borders and boxes, Word-style:
“ParagraphBorder plugin allows InDesign users mark paragraph with left/right/top/bottom lines and fill. All options are native paragraph attributes (new panel in “Paragraph Style” dialog).”
January 25, 2011 at 7:28 am in reply to: Any real reason not to build PDF's as single page spreads? #58501Theunis De Jong
MemberJTT,
I've gotten the script from Harb's that allows to turn spreads off so that the exported pdf file will individual pages.
That toggle is built-in. Surely you are not confusing a PDF with an SWF?
… after the nightmares I've had trying to add/delete pages from a document built with facing pages, and having all the content alignment go totally whack …
Rather than avoiding the issue altogether, you might want to look into the proper way of adding, deleting, and moving pages around; the Online Help should get you started.
The only time InDesign seems to have a mind of its own is when you play with the “Allow Document Pages to Shuffle” and/or “Allow Selected Spread to Shuffle” options. Other than that, I have no problems whatsoever adding or deleting pages. I usually work with facing pages with a mirrored layout, so I guess I would have noticed it when the text frames always go awry after a page edit.
January 24, 2011 at 8:25 am in reply to: Looking for english (USA) forum about graphic design/graphic industry #58482Theunis De Jong
MemberAndreas, I guess any topic can be discussed in here, as this is, after all, “An informal place to hang out and talk about Pub-lishing” :D
-
AuthorPosts
