Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Theunis De Jong
MemberNo, InDesign is not designed to do that. Layers are document wide.
Good grief, just imagine they were not! To hide some stuff you'd need to deselect the layer on each page, one at a time.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThis can be complicated job right from the start, but you succeeded in making it yet even more complicated by using different fonts and sizes!
You can try if a table works for you. It needs only two columns, and then as much rows as you need — one per paragraph. You'll find that the row height will adjust to the size of the longest text inside the two cells, irregardless of their size and length.
Theunis De Jong
MemberYay! :)
(At least we had something to look at. Typophile just got online back again, after being down & out flat out for a week!)
Theunis De Jong
MemberCall up the Keyboard Shortcut Editor, then press the “Show set” button. This opens a plain text file in your native text editor, and you can search for “Next Page” — it will show the current key assignment, which doesn't help, but you can locate the category to look in.
June 30, 2011 at 3:09 pm in reply to: How do I select multiple, noncontiguous sections of text in a text frame? #59968Theunis De Jong
MemberNo.
Theunis De Jong
MemberSomething has to be selected in the character style panel when saving (and in all other panels as well). Instead of pondering the why's and how's, simply open the template (as original), click “[None]”, then save the template again. Problem gone.
I use this feature all the time when creating templates; just before saving, I pre-select all the useful stuff, so everything is set up correctly when I open as a copy to work from.
Theunis De Jong
Member.. a blank? I got (for some reason) the code “^+”, but it didn't work anyway.
I can tell ya why it doesn't work. The regular Find/Change stuff only works correctly with Unicode encoded characters — and the Command Key code character you specify has a Glyph ID (which is no more than the nth index of the glyph in this font) but it doesn't have a Unicode code.
Now, normally I'd advise something like “first insert any other character from Apple Symbols that does have a Unicode, then use Find/Change Glyph to change this one into the one you want”, but there is an easier way.
1. Copy your Command Key character out of a text frame as you did before.
2. This time, put the code “^c” (lowercase cee) in your Change To field.
3. Change All. Don't worry about the ultra-weird screen redrawing, it's just something Adobe ought to fix someday! If you scroll the screen a bit, you will see the text redraw correctly.
The magic code “^c” stands for “Insert Clipboard text with all formatting”, and a quick test shows it works as advertised.
Theunis De Jong
MemberEasiest way is to insert it anywhere in your document from the Glyphs panel, then use Cut 'n Paste to get it into the Change To field.
You might want to set the font as well in the Change To formatting (even better would be to create a character style for it).
Theunis De Jong
MemberI have a large indb file, it is 57 pages across 50 or so indd files. Most of those files also have indd files embedded in them. Every time I try to create a PDF from this book, InDesign crashes. I can succesfully create PDFs if I do 10 pages at a time.
It sounds like this is just a bit too complicated. I've had lots of CS4 crashes, but only very rarely on exporting, and in most of those cases it was purely the placed content that was the culprit. I don't think resetting ID will work … or upgrading, for that matter (a sourly bet would be it wouldn't fix these problems and introduce a few new ones to boot ;) ).
It's bothersome, but is it a real problem you cannot export this document in one go? If exporting sets of 10 pages work, you can combine them with Acrobat.
A more time-consuming solution could be replacing the placed InDesign documents with PDFs of same (there was some talk last week interchanging PDFs and placed docs can be done quite smoothly) and try again …
I am running InDesign CS4, Mac OS X 10.6.6. I have 221gb free on my hard drive. I have never defragged and I don't know how. Would that help? It's a Macbook Pro, I don't know how much RAM it has nor do I know how to find out.
Ooo that's cute! :D Just look under the lil' Apple menu and select “About This Mac” !
By the way, I've got it from Good Authority (the Web of a Thousand Lies, actually) that since Mac OS X is built upon a proper filing system — a variant of Linux — it doesn't need to be manually defragged!
Theunis De Jong
MemberInDesign doesn't allow “anchored stories”, spanning multiple frames, just single anchored frames. It's a good thing, too, because otherwise you could link the text in an anchored frame to itself in its own parent frame, creating an infinite loop — or possibly a Mobius strip of text!
… You'll have to think of another way to get what you want.
Theunis De Jong
MemberIt doesn't work because the lookbehind cannot deal with strings of different lengths. That seems to be a limitation of ID's particular GREP handling; this also doesn't allow repetition codes in a lookbehind. (For lookaheads, it seems to work just fine.)
You could try grouping into sets of same length:
((?<=m)|(?<=yd|ft|mi))(2|3)
(warning: I didn't try this!)
June 20, 2011 at 5:27 am in reply to: Convert automatic numbering to text // Selecting text in separated stories #59895Theunis De Jong
MemberThat would be something like this:
app.activeDocument.stories.everyItem().convertBulletsAndNumberingToText();— but, please, first store a copy somewhere safe :)
Theunis De Jong
MemberSearch for this:
d+(?=t)
which will do the opposite of what you say — it will find digits that are followed by a tab — but I think it does what you meant. (Your computer is perfectly capable of doing what you say, not as good in doing what you want.)
Theunis De Jong
MemberFurry One, this is what is known in the industry as “an improvement”, because apparently non-mathematically inclined people cannot grasp the idea of the Cartesian zero-point being in the left-hand bottom corner. Even though it has been there for 15 versions and 23 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A…..llustrator), Adobe decided it'd be somehow better if it was on another position.
Fortunately, there are a couple of undercover programmers performing Good Deeds in their own time and including their hidden messages in the software before it ships (see also “WHAT'S WITH THE ALL CAPS PANEL NAMES”), and in this thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/645926 the secret to reverse the reversal is revealed.
May 25, 2011 at 4:00 pm in reply to: CS5: Imported Word styles continue beyond the styled text #59700Theunis De Jong
MemberAh well. I've never found out what this behavior is triggered by, but it seems very persistent: at work I have several different versions of Word, but a file that's “broken” cannot be made to work by re-saving in any other version. That encompasses saving as .doc, .docx, and .rtf — if the file is broken, it'll stay broken. Let's hear a Yay! for Word's persistent Backwards-Compatible objects.
Once or twice I got so fed up I saved the file as .rtf and opened and then re-saved it with WordPad. Now that's a sure-fire way of expunging every single nasty bit from a file! It's just too bad some of the 'good' stuff goes along with it … You can realistically only do this with files that are plain text to begin with.
By the way, most — unfortunately, not all! — Word files with issues import just fine into CS3. If you have one of these lying around, import the text in there, save, open in CS4 / CS5 / CS6 (hypothetically), then copy the text out of it into the target document.
-
AuthorPosts
