Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Theunis De Jong
MemberBut there is such a website! One page, for example, is this: FindBetween: A Useful GREP String
For your purposes, you need to adjust the example to the following:
(?<=[).*?(?=])
and leave the Change To field blank, applying Italics in the Change To format box. This does not address your specification
The text is within a paragraph and never a standalone paragraph. The text can be from 3 words on up in length.
— but is that really important? Because that's still possible using GREP, but the expression will go from “Anne-Marie can explain it” to “Jongware'll need to scratch his noodle to make it do exactly that, no more and no less”.
(Even better: do not apply 'italic' as a font override, as it will give the paragraph the nasty '+' “there is something going on here” mark, but create a Character Style for your italics and apply that instead.)
Theunis De Jong
Member1. Your 'tab key' is not set to 12.7 mm, that's just the default value of tabs when none is set. Set tabs using the Tabs ruler.
2. You have to do so per paragraph because you are applying ad hoc formatting. Use a Paragraph Style instead.
3. Typically, you wouldn't want to use a Tab. Set the First Line Indent to your distance.
The capitalized phrases in the 'solution' part of these are the official terms Indesign uses, and can be looked up in the Online Help. You also may want to invest in a good starters' book, such as Sandee Cohen's “Visual Quickstart” guide. InDesign is not Adobe's answer to Word and does not help you in any way to make things look more simple than they actually are.
Theunis De Jong
MemberMarkny8,
I see an option to import, but how do you export them?
That's the same for a number of formatting objects — paragraph and character styles, variables, master pages, perhaps some more. The intent was not to be able to export them, but rather the reverse: import them from an existing document. If you select any of the “Load xxx” menu items, the file list will default to “Readable documents” which only will contain actual InDesign documents.
So if you want some sort of repository, you could indeed follow Furry's advice and store all of them in a single document.
Theunis De Jong
MemberCheck if you have applied text wrap to the underlying image.
(You might not have realized it at the time but it sure sounds like you did.)
September 22, 2011 at 1:30 am in reply to: Any Way to Synchronize a Book to Turn On/Off Layers? #60584Theunis De Jong
MemberDona, you have to double-click the script in the Script panel to run it.
You say you are using CS5.5 — I wrote it for an older version of InDesign and didn't test it on any newer versions, so unfortunately it might just not work.
Theunis De Jong
MemberO I'm ure to regret this in the morning (as it is only 22:35 here over in Europe :) ) but hey, it's a friend's birthday and I'm not one to forego one even when he died.
Glad ta help you. Don't you feel bad I'm better at I even when grinning with evil alcy abuse?
(Ow I'm sory to have said that even while tpyin;.)
Theunis De Jong
MemberCan't be done.
(Said under the 'fluence so othes opinions may differ.)
Theunis De Jong
MemberGood to see ya reacting real fast. 'Cause I felt like talkin' to meself.
(Ow hgosh gotta take ta bed 'cause I cant type witphout typo's and thats a real sin>)
Theunis De Jong
Memberoh okay, that's really funny. I copied the wrong part.
Edit -> Keybord shortcuts -> Show set button. Then look for
Product area : Object Editing
and yer kb shortcuts wil be below that.
Theunis De Jong
MemberThe “wasted” part is no joke either.
(Burp.) Heh heh heh. No really. (Gotta stop typing now b'fore I'mgoin' to sau somethin' reall silly)
Theunis De Jong
MemberGosh I'm really ashamed to habve to tell you this (w.o. lots o' typos) 'cause I'm really wasted at the mo' in remembrance of a good friend's birthday (hi René'). Did you check out “Show set” in the shortcut editor? If you do, you'd find this
Horizontal Align Center — [none defined] Delete all Guides — [none defined] Decrease size by 5% — [none defined] Decrease size by 1% — [none defined] Decrease scale by 5% — Default: Opt+Cmd+, Decrease scale by 1% — Default: Cmd+,Product area : Object Editing
September 8, 2011 at 3:24 pm in reply to: Can GREP remove hyphens between characters and put the characters back in? #60478Theunis De Jong
MemberAw shucks. De nada.
September 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm in reply to: Can GREP remove hyphens between characters and put the characters back in? #60476Theunis De Jong
MemberThat's what Numbered Groups are for. Search for this:
(l)-(l)
and replace with
$1$2
But it can be done with a bit more flair — by not 'finding' the lowercase characters at all! (Don't worry, I'll walk you thru it.)
For that, you have to visualize how a regular Find works: you type in what needs to be found, press the Find button once, and InDesign selects the 'found text'. What if you coud find only the hyphens which have a lowercase character before and after it? — Notice how this is distinctly different from what you do right now, that is, looking for the exact sequence “lowercase – hyphen – lowercase”!
This lil' bit of magic can be done using “lookbehind” and “lookforward” sequence. Inside the “lookbehind” sequence you can specify what needs to be to the left of 'the text you actually found'. This fragmentatte:
(?<=l)-
will only find-and-select individual hyphens that are preceeded by a lowercase character. A phrase worthy of emphasizing.
Simlarly, this one:
-(?=l)
will only find-and-select hyphens that are followed by a lowercase character. And yes! you can combine these two:
(?<=l)-(?=l)
will only select hyphens that … well, see the above :) Replace with Nothing-At-All, and thus you'll be effectively removing the hyphens without touching anything else.
So what is the advantage of this method? In this case, it's rather miniscule. InDesign will not 'touch' the characters left and right of the hyphen; in particular, it will not “remove” them and then “re-insert” them again for the Replace operation. (I think this is rather how Search-and-Replace works, internally.) So it'll run fractionally faster. But consider a situation where you want to apply formatting to these occurrences of hyphens only when preceeded and succeeded by lowercase. You cannot do this with regular Search/Replace, and nor with the Numbered Grouping method. But with the lookbehind and lookahead function means you can!
Theunis De Jong
MemberHi Anne-Marie! No, no vacation for me — I've bin a bit quiet lately for the very opposite of that, alas.
I don't think the script is broken. Mind, I developed preptext primarily for fixating First Import of Word text; and, typically, headings and such wouldn't have been marked up yet with bold or italics. Every now & then an author does so manually, and if I see it in time I remove the spurious formatting before prepping the entire document.
In your case, your text is already formatted as-it-should, but preptext doesn't “know” that the boldness in your headings is due to the paragraph style and thus marks it “again” as a character style. It might be possible to make it “paragraph style-aware”, just as it's already “character style-aware”, but I need to look into it.
Interestingly, it is smart enough to ignore nested styles; as far as I can tell, but it double-hits GREP styles too.
Now there's a puzzler. If I had to guess I'd say either both or none …
Theunis De Jong
MemberIt's this entirely new learning paradigm: “don't you go and tell me where to find the solution, just tell me what it is!” I don't know, maybe I'm old fashioned.
This is the discussion I remembered it from: https://www.pigsgourdsandwikis……-bugs.html – but you'll still have to read it top to bottom by yourself, I'm not going to summarize it.
-
AuthorPosts
