Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Geometry of a text frame #14323403
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    You can do it using the same method that you would if were a rectangle:

    myOvalTextFrame.geometricBounds

    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    It’s true that nested styles are easier to implement but I am a bit of a GREP wonk so that’s the way I usually go with these things.

    Try this expression on for size:

    ^u\w+(\u)?\u\w+

    If it works as expected then I’ll drop back in later and explain the expression for you (I have to get my son on the bus now :))

    in reply to: Re-arranging Pages Panel to Imposition in Indesign #14323603
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    +1 to Dieter’s comment.

    If you create your design across the entire spread and export the PDF as a spread then you won’t be left with the gaps in the middle.

    Disclaimer: I am speaking from my experience in the comp department at a printing press. I am making the assumption that this approach will work for your digital printing process but I don’t really know =)

    in reply to: Ensure Dialog Is Closed Before Proceeding #14323609
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Update – Issue Has Been Resolved!

    I finally found the solution I was looking for after a whole bunch of digging around and reading. Here is what I figured out:

    ——————————————————————————————————–——————————————————————————————————–——————————————————————————————————–
    var aDialog = new Window(‘dialog’, “Dialog Title”,);
    aDialog.orientation: ‘column’
    aDialog.preferredSize: [300,100]
    aDialog.add(‘statictext’, undefined, “Some dialog contents here.”);

    var myButtonGroup = aDialog.add(‘group’);
    var cancelButton = myButtonGroup.add(‘button’, undefined, “Cancel”,{name: “Cancel”});
    var proceedButton = myButtonGroup.add (‘button’, undefined, “Continue”,{name: “proceedButton”});

    proceedButton.onClick = function(){
    aDialog.close(1)
    }

    var dialogResult = aDialog.show()

    if(dialogResult == 1){
    app.doScript(mainFunction, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, undefined, UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, “Undo Name”);
    }else if (dialogResult== 2){
    alert(“You clicked the Cancel button!”);
    exit(0);
    }

    function mainFunction(){
    app.selection = app.activeDocument.pageItems[0];
    }
    ——————————————————————————————————–——————————————————————————————————–——————————————————————————————————–

    This works as i was hoping and will run the function without that pesky error!

    in reply to: GREP nested search script #14323496
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Hello Brett, I’m not sure if you saw my response to your previous post on this topic. I posted a solution there that involved using soft returns to separate your lines instead of using paragraph returns.

    Using that solution would allow you to use a nested GREP style and you wouldn’t need to run a find/change or a script of any kind. The styling would happen automatically! :)

    in reply to: How do I get the X in empty graphic frames? #14323530
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Ah, try to show your frame edges…

    Shift+command+h (mac)
    Shift+control+h (windows)

    Or, buried in view>extras or something…

    in reply to: How do I get the X in empty graphic frames? #14323565
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    The “x” is representation of the type of frame that you have in your document. There are 3 different types of frames in InDesign, all of which are defined by their content (or intended content). The three frame types are Text, Graphic and Unassigned.

    The issue that you’re having has to do with the content setting on the frames in your document, they are probably currently set to either “Text” or “Unassigned”. To get the “x” back on these frames, you’ll need to adjust the content setting for them.

    Select the frame(s) that you would like to adjust, go to Object>Content>Graphic and… presto! Your “x” placeholder is back!

    in reply to: First letter with a solid box background #14323681
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant
    in reply to: First letter with a solid box background #14323682
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Hey Charles,

    To solve your problem, we will need to employ a method that was used in the dark days before paragraph shading; underline options.

    First, create a paragraph style that you will be using on your text. Let’s call this paragraph style “Main Para Style”. For my example, my “Main Paragraph Style” is going to be 20pt text.

    Next, create a new character style and name it something super cool (a cool name is an absolute must for this to work). Go to “Underline Options” in your super cool new character style and make sure that you have the “Underline On” box checked. It is also helpful to make sure that you have the “Preview” box checked as well (so that you can see what you’re doing).

    Make the underline weight a point or two more than your paragraph style’s text size. In my example, my “Main Para Style” is 20pt text so I am going to make the underline weight 22pt. Now you will need to adjust the “Offset” of the underline to bring it up behind the text. The offset in my example style is -6.

    Finally, go to your paragraph style and under the “Drop Caps and Nested Styles” options, add a new nested style that applies your super cool character style through 1 letter.

    That’s it! You now have a super cool paragraph style that has block shading behind the first letter!

    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    The easiest thing to do is:

    • Select the frame (which will select the “[None]” style in your Object Styles panel.
    • Click the “Create New Style” button. This will create a new style whose definition contains the overrides that are on the “[None]” style.
    • Enter a name for the style

    Now when you copy and paste the text frame, the new Object Style will come into the document along with the frame.

    in reply to: GREP Style Expression Help Neede #14323693
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    This may be what you are looking for:

    \$\d+?\.\d+?\K(o|t|f)(\w+)?

    I just added “(\w+)?” to the end of the GREP expression that Aaron Troia posted.

    The Breakdown:
    “\w” = any word character
    “+” = one or more times
    “(” & “)” = enclosing an expression the create a “captured group”
    “?” = may or may not exist.

    in reply to: Convert Clipping Paths to Frames Loop #14323737
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Locky, I believe that this is what you are looking for:

    //—–BEGIN SCRIPT—–//
    for(var x=0;x<app.documents.length;x++){
    var currentDoc = app.documents[x];
    var linksIDs = currentDoc.links.everyItem().id;
    for(var n=0;n<linksIDs.length;n++){
    try{
    currentDoc.links.itemByID(linksIDs[n]).parent.parent.images[0].clippingPath.clippingType = ClippingPathType.PHOTOSHOP_PATH;
    currentDoc.links.itemByID(linksIDs[n]).parent.parent.images[0].clippingPath.convertToFrame();
    }catch(e){};
    };
    };

    //—–END SCRIPT—–//

    The main thing to focus on here is the addition of this line:
    currentDoc.links.itemByID(linksIDs[n]).parent.parent.images[0].clippingPath.convertToFrame();

    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    This can also be easily accomplished by using the Find Font dialog (found under Type>Find Font).

    Once you have that dialog open, simply select the font that you want to replace, specify the replacement font and make sure you have the “Redefine Styles” option ticked on. Click “Replace” and all of your style sheets will be updated.

    No need for scripts on this one!

    in reply to: Relink images based on page number #14323855
    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    That could definitely be done. You would just need to grab the “name” of each page so that you can use it to build the file path with.

    I believe that the method for getting a page’s “name” is simply thisPage.name

    Jeremy Howard
    Participant

    Oh man, I hadn’t seen this before. This is the best OMV that I have seen online, by far.

    Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 104 total)